Connect with me

Sunday 13 February 2011

Billy Holiday, In rememberance of Black history month !

Seeing that its black history month in the USA, i wanted to choose a song which touches the soul during this time of remembrance...By one of my favourite artist's Billy Holiday. This strange fruit video is Rare Live Footage of one of the first anti rascism songs ever!....It completely hurts me, tears me apart, burns and reminds me of the suffering, breakdown of a black race due to slavery.....I am survivor of slavery, fourth generations of Caribbean people who do not know which part of Africa they are from and i cant go back further than my great grand mother... my history is affect by slavery and this song chills my bones.....


 Southern trees bear strange fruit
Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze
Strange fruit hanging from the popular trees

Pastoral scene of the gallant south
The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth
Scent of magnolias, sweet and fresh
Then the sudden smell of burning flesh

Here is fruit for the crows to pluck
For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck
For the sun to rot, for the trees to drop
Here is a strange and bitter cry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.