Connect with me

Wednesday 15 May 2013

Frida Kahlo's Home " The Blue House" La Casa Azul

Ola,

I'm in Mexico on a music tour with my Group Native Sun (#NativeSunMexicoTour) with my brothers Mohammed Yayah, Ian Kawall aka (KMT the freedom Teacher) Bocafloja & Jim b. Today i visited two of Mexico's most famous Artists Frida Kahlo and her husband Diego Rivera's home known as "The Blue House" built by her father in Coyoacan, Mexico.

She was a mexican painter born july 6 1907- july 13 1954 - she changed her birth date to align with the mexican revolution in 1910 so that her life would begin with the birth of modern mexico.

what i love about her is her expression of indigenous art, surreal yet strikingly beautiful depictions of her self portraits, and symbolism using religious reference, self confidence and her courage to be herself and follow her purpose as a painter despite serious health injuries/problems and infertility and 3 miscarriages.
She has a way with words, so powerful and heavy with much of her openess suggesting pain but with strength.

Two of her quotes i love:

I paint self-portraits because I am so often alone, because I am the person I know best."

"feet what do i need you for when i have wings to fly"

she painted a feminine reality and a political one-a revolution during that time.... "she painted her own reality" its clear her intelligence and personal ideas and views today teach us the reality of her struggles and the political climate .

I have been staying in the area of coyoacan the area where Frida is from and my interests in the Mexican revolution, femininity within her empowered female portrayal and the history and culture of mexico has certainly increased via her art.

it was a very emotional and compelling experience looking at detailed and intimate original pieces drawn and painted by her. Every Brush stroke still warm. I also saw Diego's art works which were powerful and in cubist style. I'm glad extended my ticket price which allowed me to take photos and click happily away at everything. I'll be printing the pics and popping them in a journal at some point to store on my shelf of memories! Below are a mixture of Pretty pic's i took in her kitchen, garden, Diego's bedroom, her closet, dresses which designers created inspired by her.....Her bedroom was closed so ill be back to capture it when it opens this Thursday.  But for now enjoy some of the pics i took to share with you xxx love sarina xx




on my way.....









Fridas Kitchen






a very touching piece

































 Her Art pieces, home, clothing are so beautiful, so stunning, thought provoking and inspiring!
Frida Lived and passed away in her home and for it to be open to general public is yet a sharing of which she did so easily when alive through her art. Below is a quote which summed up Frida fully and something we all love about her......


peace