Connect with me

Saturday 7 September 2013

Reading Maske...

Its arrived...."Maske" a book I've been so excited to explore...


I Spent this morning Reading "Maske" by (Phyllis Galembo) in a small part of the book it reads (shortened by me):

Faith in new religions combined with older beliefs in indigenous metaphysics = ontological uncertainties - This mixture of foreign & inherited cultural traditions = African's complex social and cultural life in Africa and its Diaspora today.

(Agots masquerade) owned & Performed by women-focused social issues- on the Headdress below =
 A painted wood sculpture of #MamiWata  & crucifix with a black Christ on white cross
(traditional religion) next to (Christianity)..... in harmony or antagonistic?



From continuing my reading i was quite interested in Mami Wata. She is a water goddess, thought to combine characteristics of the European mermaid, 19th century Indian Chamers and local deities. she has an interesting story, loved and hated on.....ill continue my reading on her.....


Water Spirit Mami Wata : For more See Link
Image Courtesy of the Fowler Museum at UCLA